Strawberry Summer Cake
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 cup (200 grams) + 2 Tbsp (25 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 pound (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Flour + baking powder + salt together in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in egg + milk + vanilla until just combined.
- Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C) and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 to 60 minutes.
Source: Smitten Kitchen